I didn’t want to share Fig Jam again today, but I have enough fruit for two more batches today so I was thinking about that when I was selecting a project file to select a design or two from.
Something lead me to open Super 7s file, which by coincidence features colours similar to those on the purple fig tree.
All I had to do was import some quilting designs from the Fig Jam file to add to Super 7s to stay with the fig theme … except that none of the designs quite worked, so I modified several before I got the right ones!
I love the one above, and the conversion from a pieced top to a quilted project only took one coffee. However, I am more than ready for a refill!
It is that time of the year when the figs are ripe for picking, and becoming jam.
I made a small batch over a week ago, a bigger batch yesterday (with ginger this time), and there will be enough for a third batch with almonds to be picked today and cooked tomorrow.
I really do not want to make a quilt from these designs, but maybe I could print them to make a garland to hang across the kitchen window … or the door … or placemats. At least the garland would be seen, as we don’t use placemats.
I have been playing with the Serendipity tool in Electric Quilt 8. Centre top row is the block I started with, the one in the middle is the serendipity version of the one in the corner.
Here is the starting block and the modifications I used.
There were some other blocks in the file which may have got used in some of the designs I have saved, and I played with assorted Serendipity tools and saved just about anything I thought might be interesting, then played with fabric placement. If I had been a little less silly I would have not used such a haphazard way of playing, but the results or interesting even if I have no idea how some of them came about!
This one is OK …
… Not too sure how this one happened but it started like the one above, but couldn’t get the colouring they way I thought it should be.
In the last one I used the inside out version of the first, then re-coloured.
While I have been challenging myself to try a couple new things in Electric Quilt, Laura was taking part in my Virtual Challenge 3.
Log Cabin blocks look great when set on point. I would make the setting triangle blocks around the edge by using a bigger square in the centre of the blocks, then cut them in halves. To eliminate the corner joins the square has to be a fair bit bigger than the one in the centre.
Love the one above … very stylish.
Rather interesting result!
That’s the end of another mid week Log Cabin retreat, but there will be more designs next week, mid week.